These policies and procedures are applicable to the Spring 2021 Semester for in-person and online tutoring.
- REMINDER: The Reading Writing Lab is not an editing service. Our tutors are trained to help you strengthen your reading and writing skills. You must stay online for the duration of your appointment and work with your tutor on your assignment. Failure to remain online during your appointment may result in your tutorial being terminated and loss of scheduling privileges.
- Appointments are 25 to 45 minutes long.
- You may schedule two appointments per week. If you need more appointments, you may add your name to the wait list.
- You are allowed one appointment per day. This applies to both scheduled and wait list appointments.
- You may request to wait list for a second appointment on the same day ONLY if there is availability (open appointments available and no wait list). You must take at least a 1-hour break between appointments.
- Appointments may be scheduled up to two weeks in advance.
- Your tutor will send you a link to the tutorial slip to be completed after your appointment. This slip is required if you expect to receive class credit for your appointment.
Late / Missed / Absence
- Your tutor will send you a message when they're ready to begin your tutorial. If they don't receive a response from you within ten minutes, your appointment time may be given to a student on the wait list and you will receive a miss on our records.
- After three missed appointments, you will not be able to schedule appointments for the remainder of the semester. You may still utilize the wait list.
- You are expected to stay online for the duration of your appointment and interact with your tutor. Failure to come online or leaving the tutorial early will result in an absence on our records. After two absences, you will not be able to schedule appointments for the remainder of the semester. You may still utilize the wait list.
- If you feel you have a legitimate reason for missing or being absent during an appointment, please contact us immediately. Requests to remove a miss or absence from our records will be reviewed by the Assistant Coordinator.
Canceling and Rescheduling Appointments
- Please email the Lab at least 1 hour before your appointment if you need to cancel or reschedule: email@example.com
- Appointments canceled after their start time will be considered a miss.
- The wait list is assigned on a first come, first serve basis.
- Wait list appointments do not count toward the two-per-week limit. They do count toward the one-per-day limit.
- You may utilize the wait list when there are no appointments available for the time that you need, or if you've reached your two-per-week limit.
- You may wait list for a specific time, or keep your name on the list for the full day (any available time slot).
- Students who wait list for the full day may be contacted up to two times for an available appointment. If we don't receive a response, your name will be removed from the list after the second attempt.
- If there is an appointment available, we will contact you via email, usually 15 minutes before the appointment time. If we don't receive a response from you within 5 minutes, we will move on to the next person on the wait list.
- If an appointment becomes available after the hour (for example, a student misses their appointment), we will contact you via email.
- Group tutoring may be done online via Zoom. Your tutor will send you the link for the meeting.
- Group tutorials may have up to three students.
- All group tutees must be in the same course with the same teacher and be working on the same assignment.
- Group tutorials count toward the two-per-week limit.
Reading Appointments and Labs
- If you are enrolled in EIL 219, you may sign up for a weekly reading lab appointment. Your instructor will give you the referral form.
- Reading lab appointments are held on the same day and time each week with your assigned tutor.
- If you are not enrolled in EIL 219 and need help with reading strategies, you may ask for an appointment with a reading tutor.
- Reading appointments and labs don’t count toward the two-per-week limit.
- A maximum of three people may be in a reading tutorial.
- Reading appointments are grouped by your reading level. If you don’t know your reading level, let us know.
- If you are enrolled in ENGL 101, you may sign up for a weekly lab appointment. Your instructor will give you the referral form. Please fill out the form and return it to us via email by the deadline: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lab appointments are held on the same day and time each week with your assigned tutor. Lab appointments do not count toward the two-per-week limit.
- If you miss a lab appointment, you must schedule a make-up appointment with your tutor. After two missed appointments, you will be dropped from the lab program.
- Your teacher will be notified of missed appointments and drops from the program.