Reading Writing Lab
The Reading Writing Lab is a free resource for students, staff, and faculty. We foster a friendly, collaborative environment where students from around the world can develop skills and confidence in English reading and writing. We offer several services, including one-on-one and group tutorials, workshops, in-class workshops, citation assistance, and so on. We have a small library of fiction and EIL related books that university members are welcome to utilize as well as a computer lab and printer. The Lab is located in MCK 199.
Reading Writing Lab Updates
Until further notice, the Reading Writing Lab will be offering online appointments only during the following hours:
- Monday - Thursday: 8 am - 9 pm
- Friday: 8 am - 7 pm
- Saturdays: 9 am - 1 pm
Closed Thursday from 11 am - 12 pm for staff meetings
All times listed are in Hawaii time. Not sure about the time difference? Use this helpful time zone converter!
Instructions for accessing online tutoring are posted below. To request an appointment, send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- First and last name.
- Student ID number.
- Class name and number (example: ENGL 101).
- Day and time you would like to schedule an appointment.
- Online platform you would like to use for your appointment: Google Docs, Facebook chat/call, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc.
- Let us know if you'd like a 25-minute or 45-minute appointment.
Instructions for Accessing Online Tutoring
- Sign up for a Google Gmail account.
- Log on to Gmail at your scheduled appointment time. Upload your files to Google Docs (assignments and rubrics) and share it with the Reading Writing Lab Gmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you're not sure how to upload your files to Google Docs, read these instructions.
- Your tutor will make suggestions and communicate with you via Google Docs.
- Please stay online for the duration of your appointment. Tutors may end the tutorial early if you are not actively working with them on your assignment.
- Students may also add us as a friend on Facebook Messenger: BYUH Reading Writing Tutor. Tutors can communicate with you there through chat, audio call, or video call during your appointment.
- At the end of your tutorial, complete the tutorial slip via the link that your tutor will send you. This information will be sent to your class instructor as an official record of your appointment. Please make sure you fill out the tutorial slip if you are expecting to receive class credit for your appointment.
Need help accessing the online tutorial? Watch an instructional video.
Can't access Google Docs? Tutors can communicate with you through Microsoft Teams, via your university email account. If you're not familiar with Microsoft Teams, watch an instructional video for more information.
Schedule A Tutor Session
The Reading Writing Lab offers reading or writing tutorials to assist students in their academic work. In order to make an appointment, students may come into the lab and speak to the front desk tutor, call us on the phone, or email us. Appointment length may vary depending on the needs of the student. The appointments are 45 minutes in length. Students may bring paper or digital versions of their assignments. The tutors are equipped to help students in several types of writing for different classes. This includes, but is not limited to, English, EIL, business management, political science, and psychology. The tutors are majoring in various subjects which gives them a wide range of writing and reading experience.
Call us to make an appointment: (808) 675-3629
We offer many types of resources in our lab and on our website. Please browse through our online resources to find helpful tips. Our online resources include handouts on structure, organization, thesis statements, reading strategies, grammar, citation, resumes, etc. A great resource are the Microlabs that students can place on their Canvas and improve their grammatical skills. The resources in our lab consist of the tutors, reference books, computers, helpful handouts, library books, etc. We also offer workshops that our tutors teach. These workshops cover topics such as grammar, structure, reading, and research.